If your street has an RPP district and you need to purchase a permit online, you must first create and account by clicking HERE.
Residential Permit Parking
The Residential Parking Permit Program is currently comprised of 41 districts, affecting 1,176 properties and 1,313 parking spaces.
What is the Residential Parking Permit Program (RPPP) and why was it created?
- The Lexington-Fayette Urban County Council approved the Residential Parking Permit Program in April of 1990 to address the negative impacts neighborhoods can experience as a result of too many non-resident vehicles using local streets for parking.
- The establishment of a residential parking permit district can be a valuable tool for neighborhoods to enhance safety and the appearance of their street.
How is a street determined to be a viable candidate for the RPPP?
- In order to begin the process of determining whether a street is a good candidate for a Residential Parking Permit District, a petition must be signed by a minimum of 65% of the property owners/residents on the street or block in question.
- Once the petition has been received, a study will be scheduled. This study will look at all factors that may contribute to the problems identified by the applicant.
- In short, the study requires that a minimum of 75% of the parking spaces on the street in question be occupied, with a minimum of 25% of the occupied spaces being utilized by non-residents of the area.
A total of 1,758 Residential Parking Permits were sold for the 2014 -2015 permit season, marking a 2.5 % increase over the previous year.
What happens after a street is determined to be a viable candidate?
- Once an RPP District has been approved by the Urban County Council it must go through the required public readings before it is adopted by Resolution.
- Signage is then ordered and installed. Once the signs have been installed, the LFCPA can cite motorists without a valid permit. Penalties include a fine of $50.00 and up to three days imprisonment.
How does a resident of an RPPP district acquire a permit?
- In order to qualify for a permit, you must be a resident of the street. Each household can acquire two (2) primary permits that must always be used with the same vehicle and two (2) guest permits that can be used by visitors. Each permit costs $10.00 and is valid from July 1st through June 30th of the year.